Sunday, November 28, 2010

Stuffed Artichokes for Eva


I know artichokes are not in season, but my earliest memories always had stuffed artichokes on the table during the holidays.  I think of them as adult food since as a child, we never did care for the taste or bother of working the leaves just to get to the stuffing.  Now that I think about it, Jim feels that way today! 

My Mother loves artichokes and I wanted to surprise her with my version this Thanksgiving holiday.  The only problem was that we forgot to get the chokes!  Last night we picked up four large beauties and I began my Sunday morning making a special surprise for Eva to go with the turkey soup I was bringing to her house.

Research shows that the artichoke began life in Sicily and now 80% of them are grown in California due to it's great climate.  They have loads of nutritional value with fiber, magnesium, vitamin C and potassium.  Great antioxidant with no fat or cholesterol.  When you purchase them they should be heavy, firm and have a compact center.  Did you know that Marilyn Monroe was the Artichoke Queen in 1948? 

Stuffed Artichokes

1/2 Cup bread crumbs
2 Cloves garlic - minced
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
Prosciutto - small pieces
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese - grated
Romano cheese - small slivers
Salt and pepper - to taste
2 Tablespoons plus 1/4 cup Olive Oil
Artichokes - 4 large
1 Lemon
1 Cup white wine
2 Cups water

In a bowl, mix together the first seven ingredients and add the two tablespoons of olive oil.  You can also add a little red sauce for additional flavor.  I listed amounts for each ingredient, but you can use more of less to your liking. 


Cut approximately 1/2 inch off the top of the artichokes, cut bottom removing stem and remove any leaves that do not look good.  Open petals without harming the stems.



Stuff artichokes and place in a heavy pan.  Add the water, juice of one lemon and the white wine.  Bring to a fast simmer and reduce heat simmering for about 45 minutes.


How excited will my mother be to see these beauties?  I think I'll keep out one for myself.  The best part of eating stuffed artichokes is the journey.  Today is going to be a great day!

Fino a quel momento (until that time)

LID

1 comment:

  1. Bonnie Buchanan WarfordNovember 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM

    I remember these well, very popular in New Orleans also.I will try your recipe for Christmas. Thanks Linda PS Your presentations are always right on.

    ReplyDelete