Thursday, July 22, 2010

Week Two - More To Share!


Me with Chef Elliot, Kathy and Tobi.  

I cannot believe we are already into our second week of culinary school.  I have to say our first week flew by too quickly.  Every once in a while I will look at a recipe we are preparing and sigh since I already knew how to make it wondering what I would learn but I seem to pick up something every time.  On Monday morning, it was an Italian veggie type of a day with a different salad made with black eyed beans, ratatouille (even though it's a French word, I always think of it as Italian) and polenta. 

Ratatouille has been a staple in our house but this salad was a different story.  I don't believe I ever cooked black eyed beans before, but our salad was delicious and different.  Once the beans were cooked, you toss them with radicchio, celery, radishes, parsley, a little frisee tossed together gently with a light dressing.


With polenta, I am used to the traditional way of preparing.  Stirring while drizzling in the polenta, stirring with a wooden spoon the entire time, and most of all adding the butter and parmesan at the end.  While this was a healthier version, it did taste good as thyme was added into the mix, but again, no butter or cheese. 

The lesson I learned was how to make the top even after putting it into the pan to cool.  Elliot, as shown below used olive oil and it worked great!  Now all my pieces will be uniform!


Every teacher in class was knowledgeable, helpful and full of great tips on cooking and eating our way to a more healthful life.  While many of the woman taking this class are already there, I will walk away with a clear understanding of how food works together along with many wonderful recipes. 

Every day has been exciting and fun!  Enjoy the video.

Fino a quel momento (until that time)

LID

No comments:

Post a Comment