Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Corn and Vegetable Chowder

This is a recipe we made at school last Friday that actually was quite different from what I thought when I saw the name.  Lately, I've been making many soups using vegetables and running it through my food processor and this recipe was in the same vein.  I changed it up just slightly since I like my corn cooked just a bit longer than what we ate.



Corn and Vegetable Chowder

4 ears sweet corn
1 cup potatoes (peeled and diced)
1 bay leaf
1 quart cold water
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion
salt & pepper to taste
2 garlic cloves
1 carrot
1 celery rib
1 pound ripe tomatoes (peeled, seeded and chopped)
1/4 cup thinly sliced chives

Remove corn from the cobs and take the cobs, diced potatoes, bay leaf and put into the water.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.  This makes a nice base for the soup and since the fresh cobs are just lying around why not put them to good use.  Remove and discard the corn cobs and bay leaf.

While the broth is simmering, add oil to a large saute pan and when warm, add the chopped onion and salt for 10-12 minutes.  Add 3/4 of the reserved corn kernels, garlic, carrot, celery and tomatoes.  Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring often to prevent browning, until vegetables are tender.  Add vegetable mixture to broth.

Take the liquid in batches into the food processor or use a hand-held immersion blender.  If using the food processor, do not put liquid above the line or it will spill over and make quite a mess.  Trust me, I've been there.  If it is too thick, thin with hot water.  Put everything back into the saucepan and simmer for a few minutes longer.  Add the rest of the corn.  Our instructor, left out some of the corn and placed it into the chowder whole.  I liked that idea of smooth with a little crunch, but I would cook it a little longer. 

Season with salt and pepper and garnish with the chopped chives. 

Try this dish.  You will be glad you did.

Fino a quel momento (until that time)

LID

No comments:

Post a Comment