Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Journey of Healthy Food Continues!

This course just keeps on getting better.  While there are many skills or specific foods being taught I already knew, every day I am learning more and more.  In the past two days we had Asian and Mexican food as well as a half day of eggs.  Eggs you say?  Yes, even with eggs, I learned new techniques.


I learned a technique when making poached eggs where you create a vortex in the water just prior to dropping in the egg and it creates this perfect looking egg.  Simple you say, but it was new to me and it worked like a charm.  I also never made my own mayonnaise or a french omelet.  All it takes is focus and it was simple, nice to look at and light tasting. 


But enough about our afternoon of eggs.  I had never worked with Asian food and was excited by the thought.  We spent one morning making Nori Maki  and Miso Vegetable Soup.  How excited was I to make these rolls and to better understand what it takes when we buy sushi for dinner.  I was amazed how easy it was to assemble.  The best part of the maki was actually the tempeh we used along with the vegetables and rice.  We marinated and baked the tempeh prior to cutting into small pieces.   


The next day was a Mexican Fiesta and we used vegetables and flavors I have never thought of putting together.  Jicama was used in our salad and my new knife technique was to supreme the oranges.  I think I will forever look at oranges and grapefruit in a new light!  Jicama tasted and had the crunch of an apple and it fit well in this salad of mixed greens with a rosemary vinaigrette.  Our protein was a black bean enchilada using a chile tomato sauce along with a pumpkin see tomatillo sauce.  It was the best tasting bean enchilada I have ever eaten and it wasn't because I made it.  We finished off the lunch with homemade guacamole and a coconut pineapple flan.  Does it get any better than this?  

 This class is fun, educational and exciting.  I thank Kathy for finding the Natural Gourmet Institute and for this journey we are on.  Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings...

Fino e quel momento (until that time)

LID

No comments:

Post a Comment