Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Borlotti Beans and Quinoa


Every week our bags from our CSA, www.thefoodproject.org are growing heavier.  This week we brought home a new item, at least new to both of us.  We had a bag with strange looking pods looking back at us so off to the computer I went and found out they were fresh Borlotti Beans.  I'm not sure if it ever gets boring for me, but I have to tell you I love finding new foods. 

The borlotti bean is also called the cranberry bean.  It's a classic Italian bean off white in color with red markings.  It has a nutty flavor with a creamy texture and is said to be a culinary treat.

Most recipes I found called for it in soups or salads, but I thought I would experiment with a few other vegetables we received this week.

I began by removing the beans from the pod and even though they were fresh, I let them sit in water overnight and boiled them in the morning.  They are adorable prior to cooking, but really do lose their color once cooked. 











I received a very large ugly tomato and a good size patty pan squash along with onions, so I sliced them, covered them with olive oil, salt and pepper and put them in a high heat oven to roast.  I also made one cup of quinoa.


Once everything was ready, I cut the vegetables into small pieces and mixed it all together.  For the finishing touch, I added fresh basil and a little extra virgin olive oil.  Yum!  It was good and healthy.  I can now say that don't always need to add cheese to everything i create.


Let's see, from this week I used the borlotti beans, onion, patty pan squash, tomato and basil in this dish.  I am really pleased with our CSA and cannot wait to finish up my bounty this week, creating new dishes. 



Remember, a good life deserves good food...

Fino a quel momento (until that time)

LID

No comments:

Post a Comment