Monday, August 2, 2010

Buy Me Some Peanuts and Cracker Jacks.....


Earlier this year, Jim and I went to see the beloved Red Sox at Fenway Park with a group of people he graduated with over 40 years ago.  Yes, 40 years ago...   It was my first visit to Fenway this year and as always, my heart raced with anticipation as we entered the park on our walk up to the stands.  The same thing happened to me yesterday during another visit to Fenway with our good friends, Judy and Dave.

Fenway Park is the place to be in spring, summer or fall.  While I love spending summer days/nights at Fenway, fall is always the best time since that means we are in the pennant race where life is always good.  This visit had me thinking of all the food that one gets to taste during a visit to America's most beloved park.  I watched as vendors sold sausage, hot dogs, nacho's and on and on, but what I focused on was the Cracker Jacks.  I fondly remember Cracker Jacks and ALWAYS want to have them along with my Fenway frank and beer while at Fenway.


So I got to thinking about what was actually inside a box of Cracker Jacks besides the prize and worked to recreate the special treat. I was pleasantly surprised to find so many variations online/ in blogs and below is the result.  I do understand this is not the most healthy snack out there and it has nothing to do with Italian food or vegetables, but I just could not resist giving it a try after a perfect day of warmth, sunshine good friends and my boys on the field. 

Cracker Jacks

4 cups freshly popped corn
1 cup peanuts
1 cup brown sugar - packed
1/2 cup (one stick) butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon molasses
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat pan to 250.

On a sheet pan, mix popped corn and peanuts


In a heavy saucepan, mix sugar, butter, corn syrup and molasses. 












Stir over medium heat until boiling and then continue to boil for five minutes.
Remove from heat and add vanilla.
Pour over popcorn and peanuts and mix well to evenly coat.
Bake for one hour, stirring frequently.  Cool mixture, break apart and store in a covered container. 


Tastes great and will always bring you back into those red seats watching the boys of summer.  Take some time to try it and see.

Fino a quel momento (until that time)

LID

No comments:

Post a Comment