Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Spinach and Watercress Soup

In the July edition of Bon Appetit, I found this soup and knew I was going to make it with a few changes to accommodate my husband who doesn't like "cold soup".  It also worked to my benefit since my bundle of produce this week included spinach. 

Spinach and Watercress Soup

2 Tablespoons butter
7 Large scallions, sliced thin
1 Large potato, peeled and diced
3 cups chicken broth
1 Bunch watercress
1 Large bunch spinach
1 Lemon - juiced
2 Hard boiled eggs, chopped (for garnish)



Don't these look fabulous?


Melt the butter in a large pan and add the scallions and diced potatoes. 


Saute for approximately five minutes and then add the chicken broth and simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Add the watercress and spinach until wilted and remove from heat, cooling slightly.


In batches, puree in the food processor until smooth and return to pan adding the lemon.  In the meantime, cook two hard-boiled eggs and chop.  When ready to serve, add the eggs to the soup.


We actually had this for dinner tonight with braised turnips and radishes in a mustard sauce. (another blog)   Up front, I said to Jim that if he didn't like it or needed more food, we would have them as an appetizer and then head out for dinner.  He agreed, but when we were done, we were BOTH full!   

The CSA was a lot of money up front, but after two weeks we are actually eating better, spending less and saving money by not running out for dinner two or three times a week.  I think I might even be able to shed a few pounds along the way :-).  The way I see it, it's more money for wine!

Have a good week and remember - A good life, deserves good food.

Fino a quel momento (until that time)

LID 

No comments:

Post a Comment