Friday, June 25, 2010

Hakurei Turnips and Radishes

This week in my bundle was another item I had never heard of.  It's amazing I have gone through so many years without knowing much about vegetables.  Until I jumped both feet into the world of food, I stayed with what was known and never wavered.



Well that has certainly changed as today I cooked another new vegetable - Hakurei Turnips.  They are Japanese, white, fresh and crisp tasting.  Much of what I read said the hakurei were great just by slicing and eating raw.  They were right - I tasted them and it worked.  

I decided to pair these with radishes.  Did you know radish in Italian is ravanello?  I just adore some of the translations.  It sounds like someone's name and I actually think I knew someone with a similar name.  


After considering a number of ways to cook these delights, I made the decision to cut them up and roast them in the oven using a few items from the CSA farm share.  As a good friend of mine knows, I hate to waste food - right Deb? 

Roasted Hakurei Turnips and Radishes

Preheat oven to 400
Trim ends and cut turnips and radishes in half or quarters depending on size.
2 Tablespoons peanut oil
Roast for 20 minutes

Remove from oven, add
2 Tablespoons soy sauce 
2 chopped scallions 
Garlic scape
Salt and pepper to taste

Return to oven for five minutes and it's done.  Yes, that easy and a great taste. 



I've been busy catering so it's difficult working these in, but I'm loving the experience of working with new and exciting vegetables and will continue to document my experiments in the year of the CSA...

Fino a quel momento (until that time)

LID

1 comment:

  1. For mother's day, my son and granddaughter came over to help finish planting my garden. He brought several plants of hakurei. I posted it on my company facebook and used your recipe. He also brought mustard greens and some other veggies. Thanks
    DuFresne's Auto Repair

    ReplyDelete