Sunday, March 28, 2010

Do You Have A Favorite Wine?

Yes, I know this blog is all about food and family, but what good is food without a wonderful glass of wine in your hand?  I am the first to admit I love all things wine.  The taste, aroma, color, what variety goes best with what food, etc.  I could spend hours in a wine shop speaking with the manager about what his favorites are and think nothing of picking up a case when I find something on sale.  Jim said I am the only person he knows who goes into a liquor store with a cart!  Now, that's just not true. 

Each month I wait with anticipation for my newest Wine Spectator or Food and Wine to arrive.  When I lived in a corporate world, my best part of the WSJ each week was the wine section.  I know that is wrong on so many levels, but sorry, it was.  I love to learn and what a better subject than wine! 


A few years ago, I found this adorable bottle of wine in a small shop in Arlington, MA.  I was attracted to it as it had a piece of wood attached and of course, it was from Italy.  I picked up a couple of bottles and loved it for the price.  I would look around other shops and anytime it was there, it would end up in the carriage.  I would share this wine with everyone! 

A couple of years ago, my sister Susan, her daughter Gia and myself headed to Italy that included a trip to my Grandfather's village in Bolognano, in the province of Pescara and the region of Abruzzo.  Not an easy place to find but well worth the effort as it turned out to be one of the best days of my life.   


The day of the visit, we drove through the mountains until we see the small wooden sign that told us we had arrived.  We were all excited with anticipation.  Imagine my surprise as we drive up the mountain towards the village and see Cantina Zaccagnini- this winery!  Coincidence?  I think not. 


It turned out they were closed since it was Sunday.  I was so disappointed as it's not an easy place to reach.  We headed into the one small store in the village and there in a case on the wall were bottles from the winery.  Although he did not speak English well and our Italian was not great, we communicated with words and hands with the boy working behind the counter enough that he allowed us to purchase them.  How nice for us.  Not thinking how we would get these back the the US, I bought two regular bottles as well as a magnum.  BTW, The magnum was the same price that I paid back home for one regular bottle.

Oh, yes, I did get them home.  It wasn't easy with our air restrictions, but they were not being left behind.  Not too long after, I created a wine dinner in our home with my sisters and their husbands.  I served an authentic Abruzzo dinner along with the wine. 

What a wonderful way to remember a wonderful experience - with family.

Fino a quel momento (until that time)
LID

No comments:

Post a Comment