Friday, April 2, 2010

The Mother Grain? Incas?

Lately, when I head into my local food market, my eye wanders to any fruit or vegtable that looks different.  I can't wait to take it home, look it up on the internet and figure out how I will use it in a recipe.  This past week had me buying Kohlrabe - WHAT? Doesn't it look alien?  I also picked up a couple of small purple and white eggplants. 

                                 
As I might have mentioned in the past, normally, we are a family that eats lots and lots of all things Italian and while I would never move away from that, I continue my quest to walk a little on the wild and strange healthy side.  I should say that growing up with my Grandfather in the house we never had a lot of meat.  It was pasta, soup, polenta, soup, more pasta along with plenty of cheese.

I am also looking to add more healthy grains so I headed to that aisle to see what I could see.  This week I picked up Organic Quinoa.  Again - WHAT?  (keen-wa) is a whole grain that was a staple of the ancient Incas and means "the mother grain".    

It's actually quite cute once it's cooked as a light and fluffy texture.  I took my vegtables and sauted them in EVOO with salt and pepper.  When almost ready, I added some roasted garlic and then the Quinoa with a couple of shots of soy sauce. 


I finished it off with butternut squash and pork simmered in a honey teriyaki sauce. 


I have to say it turned out quite tasty!  Jim loved it and I had enough leftover (of course I did) for lunch today. 

Can't wait for next week.  I just might be on to something...

Fino a quel momento (until that time) Buona Pasqua!

LID

No comments:

Post a Comment