Monday, June 16, 2014

Healthy Stuffed Peppers


Feeling like I needed a great tasting, healthy meal, I decided on stuffed peppers one night last week.  We were preparing to renovate our kitchen so I want to cook as much as I could and empty out the freezer, fridge and pantry.  What makes me smile is when the big guy likes it and asks for more like he did that night!

Ingredients:

4 red peppers
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion - chopped
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 lb. ground turkey breast
Salt and pepper 
1 cup cooked brown rice
A few shakes of hot sauce
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella

Directions:

Wash, cut the tops off the peppers and clean out the inside.  If they don't sit flat, slice off a little on the bottom so they will stand.  Place in microwave for 5 minutes.  I kept the tops of the pepper and chopped small.  In a large sauté pan, add the olive oil and cook onion and chopped pepper for approximately 5 minutes.  Add the garlic for another minute.  Add salt and pepper to taste and the ground turkey.  Sauté until browned.  


I also had leftover Brussels sprouts, chopped them small and added them to the mixture, add the cooked rice and stir.  I like to add a few shakes of hot sauce to enhance the flavor.  That was a good move!  The final step

I also had leftover Brussels sprouts, chopped them small and added them to the mixture, add the cooked rice and stir.  I like to add a few shakes of hot sauce to enhance to the flavor.  That was a good move!  The final step was the shredded mozzarella. 





Stuff peppers and place in a 350 degree oven for approximately 30-45 minutes depending on your oven.  

It's quiet in Naples these days, but the sun is still shining and we are enjoying life.  I hope you are smiling and enjoying yours as well.

Linda
A good life deserves great food...



2 comments:

  1. looks great and fun to add brussels sprouts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    I saw Your blog and I thought it had great recipes and awesome pictures! I therefore would like to invite You to our new culinary website which has just started.

    This is how it works in short. TastyQuery.com is a website for food bloggers and their fans allowing them to automatically collect recipes from Your food blog. It's a large database of links to recipes on food blogs. Everyone can join us for free.

    For more please visit:
    http://tastyquery.com

    TastyQuery.com is an English version of our main website called "Mikser Kulinarny", founded in Poland. "Mikser Kulinarny" has a large audience (over 2 mln unique visitors monthly) and with TastyQuery.com we want to repeat that success and drive thousands of new visitors to your food blog.

    In case of any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

    Best regards!

    ReplyDelete