Friday, January 10, 2014

Chilean Wine Maker Dinner

Let me begin by thanking my date Margy along with her husband John for having me jump in on this fabulous night.  (Your loss John). Eighteen guests had the opportunity to dine at our club house for a private wine dinner.  They do this a few times throughout the year with Chef Mark creating a delicious menu paired with wine.

The winery was Casillero del Diablo (Cellar of the devil) and our wine expert Danielle not only provided good information on each of the wines, she gave detail about the growing region.  I had always wanted to attend this dinner but with Jim not a wine drinker, he doesn't particularly enjoy this type of event.  I'm not sure if it's the wine or because of the large amounts consumed in one room!  Either way, I am happy I found my future date for all things wine and food.

Are there enough wine glasses on this table?

We began our Wine Maker Dinner with a light Casillero del Diablo Coastal Valley White Blend.  Then we jumped right into the food.  Our first course was Apple smoked sea scallops on artisan greens drizzled with a warm tomato basil and olive vinaigrette.  This was paired with Marques de Casa Concha Chardonnay.  


Our next course was seared Hudson Valley duck breast, toasted brioche, caramelized orchard apples, calvados reduction and balsamic glazed.  This was paired with the Casillero del Diablo Malbec.  I am not a big Malbec fan, but found this quite appealing.  


The third course was a prime fillet of beef, stacked with wild mushroom and foie gras, potato rosti and baby root vegetables.  This was paired with two wines.  The Gran Reserva Serie Riberas Carmenere and the Marques de Casa Concha Cabernet Sauvignon.  Both were very good with this outstanding dish.  


Looking around the room, I saw happy faces.  The food and wine worked well and the company wasn't too bad either.  And we weren't done.  Chef Mark came out of his kitchen to see what we thought and received hand claps of appreciation.  He thanked us and let us know dessert was on its way.


Our final course was creme brûlée with poached pear.  It was paired with the Casillero del Diablo Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc.  This was a sweet ending wine tasting a little like a Sauternes but without the price.  


Our night was ended and complete when we found out Skip and Sue are engaged and preparing to marry in March.  Congratulations you crazy kids!  Still not sure why he didn't take the bill for all 18 of us...


I sit here today still thinking about our fabulous dinner with good friends along with a few new ones with a smile on my face.  As I've said before and you just might hear it again, how lucky am I?

Have a great weekend everyone.  I'll see you soon.

LID







No comments:

Post a Comment