Friday, February 24, 2012

Italian Stuffed Peppers - My Way...


I know I just blogged about a restaurant last night, but this meal had me excited and I needed to get it down.  There were a few things left in the fridge tonight that I wanted to use.  Italian peppers were the main ingredient, but I also had a half onion and in another bag, half of a peeled eggplant.  I told you I always had eggplant sitting in the fridge!

This was worth getting down since I never read any recipe that came close to these ingredients and they worked.  Of course, you can and should look to see what you have on hand and work to create your own special stuffed peppers.

Ingredients:

6 Italian peppers
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large onion diced
1/2 eggplant diced
small handful of fresh oregano chopped
salt and pepper
1 pound ground sweet sausage or 6 sausage links with the casing removed
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella

Directions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees
Spray baking dish with pam
Cut peppers in half, clean and place cut side up in baking dish.

Heat olive oil in pan and add onions and eggplant.  Add oregano, salt and pepper and saute for 5
minutes.


Add sausage and cook for another ten minutes.


Add the quinoa and mozzarella and mix well.


Fill peppers and place in oven for 40 minutes.



Serve with salad.

Great dinner tonight with this surprise meal.  It was easy to make and delicious to eat.  I really try to focus on using everything and not wasting food.  Tonight showed exactly me how to do it.  You should take a good look at what you have on hand and give it a try.  I'm sure you will like what you find.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.  Since I am not with my family, give someone in your family a big kiss and hug for me.

Fino a quel momento

LID







1 comment:

  1. Rita.Balfour@State.ma.usFebruary 29, 2012 at 5:16 PM

    Sounds yummy Linda...Sending big kisses and hugs your way. Love you. Rita

    ReplyDelete