Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Turkey Pot Pie


Okay, if I was really good at blogging, I would have posted this before Thanksgiving to give you something to look forward to with all those leftovers.  Here it is almost a week later and just getting around to it.  I think it just might be my new biscotti business taking over, but hey, that's a good thing.

You can actually make this any time using chicken but I just happened to have a little turkey left over in the fridge that was yelling to come out.  And out it did!  I even remembered to get the peas into the mix.  The last time I made a chicken pot pie I thought for certain there were peas in the freezer.  I ALWAYS have peas waiting for something.  But no, I tried to fool the big guy with celery and it didn't work...


I made this easy by using a Pillsbury pie crust and other than the veggie chopping, it doesn't take too long at all.  I also use an adorable tool I found years ago in Williams-Sonoma that makes people think you bought the pie!  I'm not sure they even sell it any longer, but here is a link that is close enough.  Pie Crust Tools as well as a picture of what I use.

When I roll out the top pie crust, I use a rolling pin to make it stretch just a little more and on the edges I use these cutters and place them as shown on the top layer.  This time I brushed a little butter to those pieces but I don't always do that step.  





Ingredients

1/3 cup butter
2 small onions
1 cup carrots - sliced
1/2 cup celery - sliced
1 cup frozen peas
1/3 cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1 3/4 cups chicken/turkey broth
2/3 cup milk
2 unbaked pie crusts

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Melt butter in a large saute pan and add onions, carrots and celery.  Saute for approximately 8 minutes until soft and add peas.
Season with salt and pepper
Add flour and stir together.
Add turkey and slowly add milk and broth and stir until combined and thick.
Remove from heat.
Place one pie crust in pie plate/pan.  I always lightly spray bottom so it doesn't stick.
Add turkey mixture
As stated, roll out top pie crust and cut out the adorable extras if you have them and place the top on.
Crimp around the edges, make a few slits on top and place in oven for approximately 35 minutes.





For the broth, I made one with the turkey bones the night of Thanksgiving.  You can always use a low salt chicken broth from the store.  This meal is hearty and delicious.  You can easily use a roasted chicken from the grocery store to make this or even cook your own chicken and add it in.  Just make sure you season well.  This was a nice dinner, eaten outside on the lanai with the Christmas lights on and listening to the water.  I do love our life here in Naples.  It just doesn't get better than this!

Have a great week everyone and always remember, a good life deserves good food...

Fino a quel momento (until that time)

LID






No comments:

Post a Comment