Friday, March 4, 2011

If It's Friday, It Must Be Pizza Night!


We have been in Naples for less than a week and I already made a decision to settle in and designate Friday night, Pizza Night.  This way we will always know what's coming down the road at the end of the week and possibly a way to have friends join us!  I'm always looking for an excuse to have people join us for dinner.

Currently, we are not even in our home since we had it rented out prior to making the decision to make the big move.  Luckily for us, we have very good friends who gave us their home for six weeks, so here we are living quite comfortably while we wait for our home.  The only problem is they don't cook much when they are here and after I came home to begin the pizza process, I realized there was no stone, rolling pin or large enough cutting board or platter!

No stopping me!  I found one sheet pan and rolled out the dough by hand.  Actually, it was fun working to improvise.  I guess that means you don't need EVERY tool out there "just in case".  It still won't stop me from my fun purchases...

I used regular dough for the first pie.  I caramelized four onions, two cloves of minced garlic and salt and pepper.  At the same time, I grilled four sausages and when cooked, I sliced them thin.  Olive oil on the dough, placed the ingredients all over and added a blend of mozzarella and provolone cheese along with salt and pepper.  In a 425 degree oven for 16 minutes and topped with fresh basil and shaved aged Parmesan.


The second pizza dough was whole wheat and while I love the taste, Jim always thinks it tastes like cardboard.  This pizza was prepared the same way but this time I used sauteed mushrooms, some of the caramelized onions and grape tomatoes.  Salt and pepper to taste and the same cheeses.


They were both winners!  Jim even tasted the whole wheat pizza and while he loved the toppings, he did not finish eating the crust.  I'll just keep trying and yes, I made two pizzas for just the two of us.  I can't help it.  

Have a great weekend and I'll see you next week!

Fino e quel momento (until that time)

LID

1 comment:

  1. I wonder how many families or even individuals have pizza on Fridays? We have been doing it since my children were old enough to have pizza and have continued on with the grand kids. They come over every Friday and we have pizza and games. Some weeks we have the neighbors joining us but mostly just us, our kids and now their kids. Hope the tradition keeps on after we have moved on.
    Oh sorry your pizzas look really good, good improvising, you gotta do what you gotta do.

    ReplyDelete