Sunday, January 30, 2011

Scrumpcious Chocolate Lava Cake



A few weeks ago, Jim and I had dinner at our Sister-In-Law Kathy's house and she whipped up individual chocolate lava cakes for dessert.  They were delicious and gooey and all I thought about for weeks.  I am not a dessert loving person, (I love food too much) but I do remember the same dessert ordered at Abe & Louie's which took 30 minutes to be served and was well worth the wait.  It still brings a smile to  my face just thinking about it.

Even though it's a perfect dessert in every way by itself, I like to add a nice raspberry sauce to give it an added flavor.  Jim and our Daughter-In-Law Janette think it's too much chocolate at one sitting, but Jim's Mom and Sister love it even without the sauce.  I had a dinner party last night and wanted to make this dessert as it was the last one I would make for Nina and Nick and boy does Nicky love dessert!  You can find this recipe everywhere and it's easy to make.  I like to use the one i've seen from Paula Deen and then add my own sauce.

Chocolate Lava Cake


Ingredients:


6 Ounces bittersweet chocolate
2 Ounces semi-sweet chocolate
10 Ounces unsalted butter
1/2 Cup flour
1 1/2 Cups Confectionery Sugar
3 Large eggs
2 Large egg yolks
1 Teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons orange liquor (Contreau)


Directions:


425 degree oven
Prepare 6 ramekins.  Butter well or as I do, use a spray with both butter and flour.  (much easier) Chop all chocolate and put into a microwavable bowl with the butter and melt.  Stir halfway.  Slowly add both the flour and sugar and mix well.  Add the eggs and yolks and combine.  Add the vanilla and Contreau and stir until smooth.  Pour into ramekins.  This is something that can be done and ready to go when you want dessert.  I like to put it into the oven just before our dinner is finished so they come out warm and gooey.  it takes only 13 to 14 minutes depending on your oven.  It should be firm on the outer edges and soft in the middle.  


The raspberry sauce is simple to make.  Depending on the season, you can use fresh or frozen berries.  Yesterday, I used frozen as the fresh were expensive and didn't look good at all.  Take a pint of raspberries, add 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons of orange juice to a pan and heat.  Add 2 tablespoons cornstarch to 8 ounces of cold water and combine.  Add to berry mixture, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.  


I top the lava cakes with additional confectionery sugar and a good vanilla bean ice cream on the side.  Not only will you feel accomplished after making this dessert, you will impress the hell out of your guests!  It also goes fabulous with red wine.  Give it a try, you can do it...


Remember, a good life, deserves good food...


Fino e quel momento (until that time)


LID

No comments:

Post a Comment