Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ringing in the New Year with Lentils

How it happens so quickly, I have no idea.  Exactly one year ago, I made the decision to begin blogging on the food I love and the family I love even more.  It's been a great year, but like all of them, it went by in a blink.  When I began this blog I wasn't even certain I would have enough things to say, but found this to be a calming and reflective time.  I wasn't able to keep my goal of two articles each week, but managed to write 80 posts with over 3,000 views.

Today marks the first day of 2011 and we are heading to Judy and Dave's for brunch to spend time with good friends and eat good food.  I was not planning to cook today, but found red lentils in my cabinet and decided to create some good fortune for all of us.  For Italians, eating lentils (lenticchie) for New Year's brings good luck and prosperity throughout the year as they resemble small coins that swell when cooked.  It's our opportunity to focus on the "new".

In honor of this tradition, I decided to make my variation of lentils and sausage.  I'm adding sausage since it's customary to eat lentils with sausage just after midnight and I just happened to have some already cooked and sitting in the freezer waiting for a day like today.

Red Lentils with Sausage and Spinach

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion - chopped
2 cloves garlic - diced
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
4 cups water
1 chicken bouillon
1 lb red lentils
1 cup fresh spinach - chopped
1 cup cooked sausage

Look over the lentils and pick out any foreign substances such as small stones and rinse.


Add olive oil to pan and heat.  Add onion for four minutes and then garlic for 30 seconds.  Add both the curry powder and cumin and stir for one minute.


Add water, bouillon and red lentils.  Bring to a boil and then reduce and simmer for 20 minutes.  Add the spinach and sausage and cook for 10 additional minutes.


I served over brown rice, but you could have it as is or any other grain.


My resolutions for 2011 are to focus on Meatless Mondays, supporting local farmers (wherever we live) and farm to table meals using better quality foods.  So follow your path, make a difference in the world and enjoy 2011.  It's going to be a good year.   

Fino a quel momento (until that time)

LID


No comments:

Post a Comment