Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sausage and Cabbage Soup


As I type this, we are in the middle of Fall and it's evident as I look out my window and view all the beautiful foliage colors.  But as luck would have it, in Boston we get the gorgeous color as well as mild weather as it's been in 70's for days!  This beautiful weather did not make any difference to me as I had cabbage in my CSA bundle and just had to use it. 

I know my focus has been mostly vegetarian, but I'm not and will never completely go in one direction.  I enjoy everything except liver on my plate.  My focus is on good, quality, healthy food with an Italian influence and all things in moderation.

So with that said, here is my take on a soup that will warm your heart.

Sausage and Cabbage Soup

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Medium onion - diced
1 lb. ground sausage
1 Savory cabbage - shredded
1 Small bunch thyme
1 1/2 Quarts of chicken or vegetable broth
3/4 Cup orzo
1/4 Cup (or more) of Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper - to taste

Saute onion in olive oil.
Add ground sausage and continue to cook.
Add a small amount of broth along with the shredded cabbage until it cooks down and is tender.
Toss in the thyme along with the rest of the broth.
Add orzo and simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper and add cheese.

Once the soup is finished to your liking, remove the thyme and serve.  I'm thinking you can use any type of cabbage with this recipe and it will still taste wonderful.  It's thick and tasty.  This soup is a meal in itself but you could grab a loaf of crusty bread and enjoy. 

While I love all things summer and warmth, the fall and winter seasons bring a wonderful aroma to the kitchen and warms the heart.  As long as I am here and not basking in the Florida sunshine it's the next best thing...

Fino a quel momento (until that time)

LID

No comments:

Post a Comment