Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Garden Vegetable Soup


The weather is just plain dreary with the cool weather, rain and wind.  This morning I went through all my vegetables in the fridge and decided to make a vegetable soup.  How excited was I to be able to make this soup with all CSA vegetables! 

I even had vegetable broth in the freezer that I made last month.  I don't love this weather, but being able to eat good, healthy comfort food somehow makes it easier to take.  Best of all, after you get everything chopped and ready to go, it's an easy one pot meal.  I added fresh Italian bread and the meal was complete.

Garden Vegetable Soup

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Onion - chopped
1 Cup diced carrots
Salt and pepper
1 Teaspoon celery salt
1 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 Clove garlic - minced
1 Quart vegetable broth
1 Bay leaf
1 Large zucchini - diced
1 Medium patty pan squash - diced
5 Tomatoes - chopped
1 Quart vegetable broth
1 Bunch bok choy

Heat olive oil in a heavy pan.  Add onion, carrots and salt and pepper.  Saute for five minutes.  Add garlic and red pepper for 30 seconds to flavor.  I also added celery salt since I did not have any celery.  Into the pot goes the vegetable broth, bay leaf, zucchini, patty pan and tomatoes.  Bring to a boil and lower for 30 minutes.


Chop the bok choy and add to the soup and simmer for another 15 minutes.  It's not the usual green that I add, but there it was looking at me and it worked great!  I also add salt and pepper as needed while the soup simmers to taste.

While we might not like summer being behind us and the weather getting cooler, this soup might just help you get through it.  Give it a try - you'll be glad you did.

Fino a quel momento (until that time)

LID

No comments:

Post a Comment