Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Garlic Scapes from the garden...

As you know, last night I picked up my first bounty of produce from the Lynn CSA Farm Share in partnership with The Food Project.  Although the Lynn space is small, the teens I met yesterday are doing a fabulous job out of the gate.  The crops already in place look healthy and growing strong and the people we met were friendly and helpful for us first-timers. 

I was able to pick my own peas (another first) and tasted edible flowers.  We also headed home with two very large bags full of mostly greens.




















some of the goods...

Besides eating flowers for the first time in my life, I was introduced to garlic scapes.  It's the stalk of the garlic plant and while not nearly as strong as the taste of garlic, it adds a wonderful flavor to any dish.  Today, I decided to marinate mushrooms for an antipasto I am doing tomorrow and instead of garlic, I used one garlic scape.   


I used 2 lbs. of small portobello mushrooms for this dish.  Once they were brushed off for dirt, I cut them in half and put in a pan with 1/4 cup olive oil and sauteed for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and add the zest of two lemons and the juice.  I did only add about 1 and 1/2 of the lemons since it could be too strong of a taste.  The choice is up to you.

In the pan also went two fresh bay leaves, a bunch of thyme, salt and pepper to taste and a little more olive oil.  I then chopped one garlic scape and added to the finished product.  Oh yes, it does add to the taste. 



I had never made my own marinated mushrooms and whenever I wanted them I would head to the store and buy them from a jar or the deli counter.  Not any longer.  From now on, I will be making these easy, delicious mushrooms. 

You need to try this recipe and let me know how tasty they are.

I will continue to experiment with my newly acquired produce and report back.

Fino a quel momento (until that time)

LID

No comments:

Post a Comment