Monday, May 3, 2010

Savory Tart

Puff pastry - the food you can make is unlimited with this buttery, flaky, delicious puff pastry.  You can make it yourself, but to me, that just takes too long working the layers when you have the option of heading to the grocery store in the freezer section.  Don't get me wrong, I love to make entire meals from scratch, but it's just too easy taking a box out of the freezer.  The best part is that it tastes great! 

This past week leeks were on sale so I picked up a bunch, grabbed another block of cheese and headed home.  Not that I didn't have enough cheese at home already.  I have to admit, it's my downfall.  I remember a family party last year when my young niece frowned at the food being served.  She wanted a grilled cheese sandwich.  I knew I could handle that request!  We headed to see what type of cheese she wanted and after I listed off seven or eight without the word american in any, she decided she wasn't hungry.

But I digress, back to my tart.......

Out of the freezer came the puff pastry.  I wanted to use both pieces as I was using a rectangular tart pan.  I actually used only half of the second, but put the extra on a sheet pan, covered it with brown sugar and cinnamon and popped it into the oven while I prepared the tart.   Oh did my kitchen smell good.



Next came the onions that I sauted in extra virgin olive oil for five minutes.  I chopped the leeks thinly and used the white and light green parts only.  Those went into the pan along with fresh sage, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. 


Now for my favorite part of any recipe - the cheese.  I bought Emmental which is a hard cheese with a great taste.  I shredded probably more than I needed and put half into the onion mixture. 



In the meantime, I baked the tart shell at 350 for seven minutes and pricking with a fork to eliminate bubbles.  There is no need to put anything in the pan since it's so buttery, it will slide out when done.  Once cooled, I add the mixture, top with the rest of the cheese and add my surprise - bacon.  You see, this way, Jim will give it a try without making a face.  I know bacon is not the best for you, but I had a few pieces in the freezer after a weekend breakfast for Jim and our Grandson, Brady.  In the old days, we would never have bacon left over after a weekend breakfast.  I love the new me.


Back in the oven it went to melt the goodness together and as I thought, the aroma brought Jim to the kitchen. 


This was one good snack and a dish that Jim said he would eat again!  I knew I could get him with the bacon.  I can't wait to try another version sans bacon and see what he thinks......

Have a great May everyone and always remember, a good life deserves good food.

Fino a quel momento (until that time)

LID

No comments:

Post a Comment