Saturday, February 6, 2010

Pizza it is!

Daniel is three years old today!  In our family, birthdays are always celebrated at our house (as long as we are not in Naples) and it is always a meal of their choice.  For example, our Grandson Brady will always request Linguine and Clam Sauce and one year Jim actually asked for creamed tuna with peas on toast.  Yes, I did just say creamed tuna and that was the meal for the night because when it's your birthday...  Of course, I did add a couple of appetizers to make dinner somewhat improved.

And after a few too many birthdays, I finally got the right recipe for "the birthday cake".  I make a mean three layer Red Velvet Cake for all birthdays.  Orginally, we made it with the traditional cream cheese frosting, but have since switched to a butter cream.  This recipe along with both frostings are yours for the asking. 

How happy was I to hear from my Daughter-In-Law Janette, that Daniel requested pizza for his birthday dinner.  So pizza it was!  I also took out the Eggplant Parmesan from the freezer along with fresh bread for sandwiches to go along side the pizza.  Of course, there was the traditional cheese pizza for Daniel.  He's a fussy eater, but had four pieces so I'm thinking the taste was there.  I usually make a white pizza with various toppings from vegtables to clams.  For the adults, I made one with spinach and mushrooms and the third had sauteed red peppers along with a thinly sliced red onion and pesto.  All three had plenty of shredded mozzerella and parmesan cheese over the top and I used my homemade rosemary EVOO for a nice flavor.  I wish I remembered to take pictures as they looked wonderful sitting on top of those boards. 

The right tools make it easy to get it right every time.  Sometimes I use a stone Old Stone 16-Inch Round Oven Pizza Stone with a paddle to remove the pizza from the oven but I will also use a cookie sheet.  You definitely need a good pizza cutter.  KitchenAid Pizza Wheel / Cutter, Black.  It will make cutting your pizza quick, even and easy. 

Pizza is the ultimate comfort food and can even be healthy to eat if you make a few changes.  You can use a white whole wheat flour or go half and half.  King Arthur   makes a good one and also use plenty of colorful vegtables for the top.  Make your pizza is all different shapes and sizes.  You can't go wrong with your combinations.  I suggest you try and then try again.  You will be happy you did...

fino e quel momento (until that time)

Lid

No comments:

Post a Comment