Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Let's Add Friends to the mix...

While I usually talk about the things I love regarding food and family, the third piece of the puzzle is friends.  Both Jim and I have been extremely fortunate to have a large core group of wonderful people we call friends since high school.  Yes, high school and it's been 40 years, give or take a few between us.  My best friend Judy is actually more like a Sister to me as we move together through this place called life.  Some of us have stayed together, dining out whenever possible, creating parties just to be together or traveling, while others have drifted out of our lives.  Either way, we know in our hearts we are all there for each other if ever the need arose.  We have worked through love, marriage, children, divorce, death and now even Grandchildren which is another beautiful story for another day.

And every once in a while it even get's better.....

Due to Facebook, we have been given the opportunity to reconnect with those we lost touch with along the way.  I have a good friend today from high school that I had not seen since our children were small.  As it turns out, we have a good deal in common.  I don't like to look back, but feel we missed out on some great years together.  We will just need to make up for it once Jim and I move to Florida full time.  Once I was able to convince Jim to enter the Facebook world, his own world opened up even further.  He is now connected with people from his past and is having a blast.  This past fall, we had lunch in Virginia with one friend Frank, who went into the service before graduation, never to return.  Leading up to the lunch, Jim would tell me stories of the two of them and how happy he was to be connected to him today.  He was so happy that day to hug, kiss and remember.  It was the best part of the ride home. 

He has also had the opportunity to reconnect with friends from high school and he's having the time of his life.  I think as we age, life just has more meaning - plain and simple.  As Sal said at dinner this past weekend, "nothing is an accident - there is a reason why we are all back here together again".  Who knows what it is, but being present with friends is the way to go - always.  In life, Jim and I choose every day to enjoy as much of it as possible and what's better than doing it with friends.

fino a quel momento (until that time)

Lid

No comments:

Post a Comment