Monday, May 25, 2015

Family and Pasta - What a great combination


There are many variations of the word family in the dictionary.  My definition would be my entire family which goes beyond the traditional family unit.  I might not have the opportunity to be with them often, but my love never waivers.  It is understood that even without being there to give that hug, kiss or wipe a tear, I miss them always and they are always on my mind.

This season I was able to see my famiglia on numerous occasions.  We returned to Boston the first week in December for our Christmas visit and it was pure joy.  We spent time with all our grandchildren and had the annual 3Sista's Christmas Cookie Day.  Our son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren visited the day after Christmas to surprise me yet another time.  I wasn't prepared with food but managed to pull it together to feed the crew for a short week of fun in the sun.  They spent New Years Eve with us on the beach and headed back to the cold the next day.

My next fix wasn't until my Momma came to visit for three weeks.  While I missed Auntie being with her and an illness that took a toll on Momma, it was a wonderful time.  I also had the pleasure of my daughter and her boyfriend along with my sister and her entire family for Easter as well!  Yes, it was a busy and fabulous season for me.

So here we are heading towards the end of May.  We just returned from a short Beantown visit for Daniel's first communion and preparing to head back again for Brady's graduation.  Friends have come and gone and many of our local friends are heading north.  Golf has been great and all the parties and dinners have been beyond fun.

And once again, I will try to get back to blogging.  Yes, I miss it.

Here is a quick pasta dish that turned out delicious and was easy to make.  A friend saw the picture on Twitter and requested the recipe, so here it is Therese!

Zucchini Pasta with Chicken Sausage

Ingredients:

1 pound pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion - diced
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 pound chicken sausage (approximately 6 links)
2 zucchinis - chopped
Salt and pepper - to taste
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
1/2 cup (or more) parmesan cheese

Directions:

Bring a large pot filled with water to a boil.  Add pasta and cook according to package directions.  Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.  Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan.  Add the onion and cook for five minutes.  Add the garlic for an additional minute.  Remove the casings from the sausage and add to pan breaking it up into smaller pieces.  Once browned, add the zucchini.  I actually use a turning slicer that I found years ago while at a cooking class in NYC.  It works great!


Continue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, stir in the salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes.  Add pasta and cheese and combine.  Add the reserved pasta water as needed.

Like I said, easy and delicious!  Now I'm off to make dinner…

Mangia!

And remember, a good life deserves great food

Linda






No comments:

Post a Comment