Monday, June 16, 2014

Healthy Stuffed Peppers


Feeling like I needed a great tasting, healthy meal, I decided on stuffed peppers one night last week.  We were preparing to renovate our kitchen so I want to cook as much as I could and empty out the freezer, fridge and pantry.  What makes me smile is when the big guy likes it and asks for more like he did that night!

Ingredients:

4 red peppers
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion - chopped
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 lb. ground turkey breast
Salt and pepper 
1 cup cooked brown rice
A few shakes of hot sauce
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella

Directions:

Wash, cut the tops off the peppers and clean out the inside.  If they don't sit flat, slice off a little on the bottom so they will stand.  Place in microwave for 5 minutes.  I kept the tops of the pepper and chopped small.  In a large sauté pan, add the olive oil and cook onion and chopped pepper for approximately 5 minutes.  Add the garlic for another minute.  Add salt and pepper to taste and the ground turkey.  Sauté until browned.  


I also had leftover Brussels sprouts, chopped them small and added them to the mixture, add the cooked rice and stir.  I like to add a few shakes of hot sauce to enhance the flavor.  That was a good move!  The final step

I also had leftover Brussels sprouts, chopped them small and added them to the mixture, add the cooked rice and stir.  I like to add a few shakes of hot sauce to enhance to the flavor.  That was a good move!  The final step was the shredded mozzarella. 





Stuff peppers and place in a 350 degree oven for approximately 30-45 minutes depending on your oven.  

It's quiet in Naples these days, but the sun is still shining and we are enjoying life.  I hope you are smiling and enjoying yours as well.

Linda
A good life deserves great food...



1 comment: