Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Birthday Celebration - with food of course!

It's hard to believe I am now the mother of a 40 year old.  Yes, I recently returned to Boston as my Stacy turned the big 40.  This was a surprise so I hid out in Peabody awaiting the big party.  In the meantime, I spent time cooking for the rest of my family and even got to have a date with my grandson Daniel along with lunch the next day with my mother, daughter and older grandson, Brady.

I made a beef barley soup using oxtails for the first time.  It provided great flavor and plenty of soup to feed the entire family.  While it ended up costing more than normal soups, I really liked the recipe I found and would definitely make it again. 




And while I thought I was heading back to Naples on Sunday morning, Stacy convinced me to stay another day and make her a birthday dinner.  It's really one of the things I miss the most - being there to make them their favorite meal on their special day.  The good news is I was there for Stacy and also get to do it again this week for my daughter in law, Janette for her birthday!





When I told Stacy what I was planning for dinner that night we changed it up her way and I also made her the Red Velvet cake I make for most birthday celebrations.  The ice cream cake in the freezer would just not due for this special celebration.  We had pasta with chicken sausage, broccoli rabe and roasted red peppers.  I also made bread sticks that are easier than you think.  The best part was that I found a rose from Cantina Zaccagnini, the winery from my grandfathers village in Abruzzi.  If you would like recipes for any of these, please let me know.

The weather was perfect in New England and the company was even better.  I got to see my family and have fun visiting and cooking.  Now on to my menu planning for the kids visit to Naples!

Enjoy your week everyone, I know I will.

Linda


1 comment: