Sunday, September 15, 2013

Carrot Oat Soup with fresh sage



A few years ago, I had the pleasure of attending a two week intensive culinary course in NYC.  It was a fabulous learning experience and I picked up quite a few new skills.  Frequently, I take out my course book and go through the recipes.  Some, I would never want to make, but this one has always been in my rotation of soups.

This is a keeper partly because it's so healthy, but mostly for the taste!  This is an easy soup, full of flavor and while the original recipe uses dill, I tend to go with sage just because I love it.  The best part of this is the fact the oats make it creamy without the need to use cream!

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion cut into a medium dice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 lbs. carrots, peeled and cut into small rounds
5 cups vegetable stock
1/4 to 1/2 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons sage, chopped for garnish

Directions:

In a medium sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onions and salt.  Cook until softened about 5 minutes.

Add the carrots, cover pot and cook over low heat for another 5 minutes.  Stir often to prevent browning.



Add stock and oats to pot.  Raise the heat and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer 25 minutes, covered, until carrots are tender.



Blend the soup until creamy.  Add additional stock to desired consistency.

Add lemon juice and season with salt to taste.

Garnish with sage and serve!

Have a great week everyone!

Linda


No comments:

Post a Comment