Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Our Famiglia is growing - that means food!



Our Granddaughter Rylee Shea has arrived!  Did you hear the music at 4:53 PM last Wednesday?  While it took a few days for her to make her way into this world, her entry was grand.  She is peaceful and beautiful.  So what does one do while awaiting the birth of a Grandchild?  Cook, of course...

On day one, I began by making a sauce with pork.  I use a good olive oil and browned spareribs.  Once finished, I removed the pork and added the basil, parsley, onion and garlic to begin the process and once the whole house is smelling wonderful, I added San Marzano tomatoes and a good squirt of a concentrated tomato paste.  I don't make this as often as I used to so when I do, I use either a large can or four regular cans of tomatoes.  To break up the tomatoes, you can use your hands (messy) or wait till it simmers for a while and use a masher or an immersion blender.





I then moved to eggplant and we had that with angel hair pasta.  We were lucky enough to have both children and grandchild with us at the table.  Of course I made way too much so the next day I made an Angel Hair Pasta Bake.  Jimmy says I ALWAYS make too much of everything.  To the pasta, I added ground sirloin, mushrooms and leftover fried eggplant, parmesan cheese, eggs and topped with mozzarella cheese.  Oh baby, that was one of the best leftovers I ever made!  Best of all, you cut into squares and it freezes well.

Yes, I continued to make other things as well and will make certain I fill up their freezer before we head back to Naples.  It keeps me busy and content until I get to cooking for clients once again.  In the meantime, I am enjoying my spending quality time with my famiglia under the summer sun...

Have a great week and enjoy your famiglia.  I know i will.          

Fino a quel momento

LID

No comments:

Post a Comment