Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pasta for St. Paddy's Day?


Yes, I do know my last name is Duggan and my maiden name is Brady, but my influence has always been with the Tieri side of the famiglia.  So it goes without saying I would much rather create Italian meals than Irish.  And with that said, corned beef and cabbage isn't all that Irish at all!  I'm told it is not the meal most of Ireland eat and they certainly don't prepare it for special days.  I'll have to confirm with my friend Paddy McLaughlin and let you know if I'm wrong, but don't think so.

I have made the dish many, many times over the years and we went out last year so Jim could enjoy his special meal, only to have the restaurant use canned potatoes and frozen carrots!  That was disgusting.  In Naples, they celebrate Saint Patrick's Day in a big way and after the parade, Jim had his large plate of corned beef and cabbage.

So for this special Irish day, I made orecchiette with sausage and broccoli rabe.  The rabe was my "wearing of the green" and to my surprise, Jim loved the flavor!  I actually had the sausage, onion and broccoli rabe cooked and in the freezer.  This was an easier than easy meal to make.  The orecchiette is a great shape for this dish since the "little hats" hold onto the oil and cheese.


Once I heated the sausage and rabe, I added some extra virgin olive oil, the pasta once cooked along with a 1/4 cup of the pasta water.   After it's all mixed in, I added a half cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and two tablespoons of fresh basil.


Even though it is Saint Patrick's Day, Jim ate his meal and loved it.  He said it was flavorful and tasty and I don't think for one minute he missed his canned potatoes...


Happy Saint Patrick's Day everyone!  Hope you wore your green and smiled like a leprechaun all day!

Fino e quel momento (until that time)

LID

1 comment:

  1. Paddy says your absolutely right. Corned Beef and Cabbage is not a traditional St. Paddys Day meal. Although they eat everything that goes into it, he wanted you to know in his eyes the only traditional St. Paddys Day thing over there is........................GUINESS. LOL

    ReplyDelete