Sunday, January 17, 2010

Cloth or Paper?

I don't know how or why it began, but years ago I found comfort in using cloth napkins and good dishes every day.  Yes, every day.  No paper napkins and definitely no paper plates in our house.  It might have come from my Aunt Helen since I remember as a young girl always being impressed that she used them and still fondly remember the blue,yellow and white checked ones sitting in a basket.

As the years flew by, my family got used to the idea or at least most of them.  I firmly believe that life is too short not to use "the good stuff".  I want my family and friends to always have the best and by the way, it's a lot more economical and green.  I think I was ahead of my time.....

It didn't matter if it was in the kitchen or outside.  During the summer, most nights we ate dinner on the deck.  And yes, we always set the table with dishes, cloth napkins Set of 6 Luxury White Cotton Cloth Napkins 16" x 16"and a tablecloth.  This would be if it was just myself and Jim or a dozen guests.  I once remember someone asking for a paper plate and all eyes looked at me and began to laugh.  "Not in this house", they said.  Jim's Mom and Dad live in Florida and spent summer's with us.  I think they saw it as waste-extra laundry.  They would never say anything, but go out and buy paper plates and take extra napkins from Kelly's.  I'm not sure if they thought we forgot to go to the store or that we couldn't afford them, but in any event I would always find them in the house and they would use them any time we weren't home. 

At the end of the day, my family and friends are worth the best and I believe this is, in part, my small way of giving it to them.  Why go through the bother of creating a great meal and not finishing up with "the good stuff"?

fino a quel momento (until that time)

Lid

No comments:

Post a Comment